Friday, May 16, 2008

Debian 4.0 + framebuffer = ...

Well, I managed to install the framebuffer on Debian, and now the console looks much much more sweeter.
In case you're trying to do the same thing as me, I'll give you some instructions on how to accomplish this:
Basicaly, you have to compile your kernel to support framebuffering, I compiled my driver within the kernel, however, I want to make it run as a module as soon as posibile. The options that you have to include are:

FB: Device Drivers -> Graphics Support ==> Support for framebuffer devices
VESAFB: Device Drivers -> Graphics Support -> Support for framebuffer devices ==> VESA VGA Graphics support
FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE: Device Drivers -> Graphics Support ==> Console display driver support (also select the VGA 8x8 and 8x16 fonts)

I would also like to mention that I spent a couple of days working out the fb so I don't know exactly what need no be done. I will post the complete instructions after I reinstall the sistem from scratch (I do this for the purpose of seeing exactly what needs to be done). The `userspace vesa vga support' was quite troublesome, so I left it out of the final make (I think that was the cause of the framebuffer failing).

LE (20th May) Well, even though there are 3 weeks until the summer vacation, it seems like ages away. Unfortunately, I had to revert to Hardy and postpone my Debian CLI adventure.

No comments: