Saturday, August 30, 2008

GRUB 2

The GRand Unified Boot-loader 2. A pretty fancy name wouldn't you say? Well here's the thing, in case you haven't tried it yet, I definitely recommend it. Although at first glance it may not seem too different from GRUB 1, the main advantage IMO comes in the form of Logical Volume Management (LVM) support. That comes in handy for example if your like me and want to try stuff out: new kernels, new distributions, new setups, etc.

Now before I continue my blabbering about how great can a Logical Volume(LV) boot partition be, I should explain what is LVM in the first place. To put it simply it is a method which allows you to change your partition's size (shrink/grow) on-the-fly and without worrying about creating gaps between the partitions on the hdd. Of course, if would be too much for my fragile fingers to write about, so I would suggest you google LVM up: the first 3-4 results should be of interest.

OK, now that you (presumably) know what LVM is, I would recommend you visit http://agemo.wikidot.com/tutorial:lvmboot . I'm using wikidot.com to host my tutorials simply because it is more efficient to write them there, where there is adequate support for that type of writing stile, as opposed to writing them here on blogspot, where they will just fill up space and won't be very pretty-looking.

No comments: