Monday, September 1, 2008

Intrepid Ibex Alpha 4

So, guess what? I have Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 4; :yahoo: pretty awesome don't you think?
Well, it is and it isn't at the same time, mostly it isn't. The amount of bugs make using it a pretty nasty experience. That's because, at least in my case, few things work out of the box and you need to use a little good ol' "persuasion".
For example, the first thing I encountered was that system -> about ubuntu didn't work. In nerd terms, yelp can't parse the file /usr/share/gnome/help/about-ubuntu/C/about-ubuntu.xml because of another error in /usr/share/gnome/help/libs/C/legalnotice.xml. Commenting/deleting the problematic part in legalnotice.xml seems to solve the problem.
Next came the strong desire to install the graphics driver. I soon felt sorry for that attempt because after my first try, neither the monitor nor my GeForce 7300GT card weren't detected. Also, it seemed that instead of using the nvidia driver, Intrepid was using vesa. It probably took me 30 minutes in total of installing and reinstalling the 173.14.09 and 173.14.12 drivers before I realized that the problem was caused by a faulty generation of xorg.conf by nvidia-xconfig and managed to get hardware acceleration into my system.
Currently I'm working on the sound driver. I know there is a long history of sound issues, especially for me, since I have 2 sound cards (one onboard, and one usb). On hardy a simple asoundconf set-default-card solved it, but on intrepid, asoundconf fails with "ValueError: need more than 1 value to unpack" on line 348. So yeah, I do have some work to do before I get it to work. The reason I started using it, is because I'm looking forward to start participating in it's development and reporting bugs I think is a good way to start.

offtopic: today is the first day of Ubuntu Developer Week. It's also the first time I'm going to participate, so I'm excited to see how is it going to be.

No comments: