Tuesday, September 9, 2008

LHC - yet another opinion about 'the End of the World'

I have been kinda busy the last week, which is why I didn't wrote any new posts for my blog. But this LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is going to end the world thingy that I hear and read all over the news is starting to freak me out. DUDES! I don't think that not even 10% of all those who claim that this is the Apocalypse actually know what LHC does. I mean have they ever even read about microblack-holes or Hawking Radiation?
So, putting idiots aside, I believe that the world's not going to end. I'm not going to state all the reasons, because it'll probably be better if I just put the links so you can read about it too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_black_hole, http://thecircuit.mojohd.com/episodes/episode-6/ (the part when professor Michio Kaku talks about LHC is important).
That being said I should mention my own thoughts regarding the experiment. I'm quite excited because if micro-black-holes would be created, it would mean that extra dimensions exist and as prof. Michio Kaku stated, it is possible to bend space (using an extra-dimension) and thus create things like wormholes. Now, I've seen a documentary once, it was called "The Elegant Universe" and in it, things like wormholes were discussed and they said that space could be bent, but it couldn't be ruptured (according to Einstein). I'm not a physicist, so my understanding of these phenomena rather limited.

No comments: